[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Can I Make A Gaming PC with Parallella?

Can I Make A Gaming PC with Parallella?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Can I Make A Gaming PC with Parallella?

Postby barefoot138 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 am

I was looking at the Parallella chip recently and was wondering if I could make it a gaming pc by adding a GPU to it. Can I do this? Is it possible to make a gaming pc with the Parallella chip?
barefoot138

Re: Can I Make A Gaming PC with Parallella?

Postby 9600 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:24 am

Parallella is a computer and not a chip. But what sets it apart is that it has a multi-core Epiphany chip.

You cannot add a GPU to the Parallella computer in the same way that you could with a PC or similar. It would be possible to implement a GPU in its FPGA, but this would not compete with the GPU of a PC or even a smartphone etc.

Even with a GPU, you would still only be able to run Linux/ARM games (or possibly Windows Embedded games, if they exist).

Generally speaking the Parallella would not make a good gaming computer.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby barefoot138 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 pm

barefoot138

Postby barefoot138 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm

And also, can I use it to gain money in any way? Like by building a server from it?
barefoot138

Postby sebraa » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 pm

sebraa

Postby CIB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 am

There could be some interesting applications for the parallella in games, particularly servers. Minecraft comes to mind.
CIB

Postby sebraa » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:57 pm

Please take a look at the memory requirements of current games, and how much of it is game state (which is relevant to servers). Then compare that to the memory available on the Epiphany chip: 16*32k = 512 KB of memory total. That's KILObytes.

You could of course ignore the Epiphany chip. Then you have a computer with 1 GB of memory and a relatively slow dual-core processor without any GPU inside. My seven-year old notebook has more performance (admittedly, at a higher wattage).
sebraa

Postby barefoot138 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks guys :D !
barefoot138

Postby CIB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:52 am

I think if you do stuff like moving water around with some fancy realistic algorithm and represent the data in a compact format, the epiphany will be useful for that. Thing is, you will have to usually build such applications into your game, because games are optimized for "normal" CPUs and GPUs and thus avoid doing things that would be efficient on the epiphany.
CIB

Return to General Discussion