[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Parallella 2.0 Design Specifications

Parallella 2.0 Design Specifications

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: Parallella 2.0 Design Specifications

Postby marek » Sat May 03, 2014 8:13 pm

marek

Postby Forar » Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 pm

A minor thing that tripped me up and would most likely be too much work to fix.

I ended up purchasing as a microhdmi to hdmi since I just wanted to output to TV. It arrives here and don't think anything of it until I try to testplug everything in since I'm still waiting on microusb to usb.

No horizontal clearance. The microhdmi to hdmi plug has a large bend, and that bend doesn't allow me to plug in a microusb slot. So I can either type, or see what's going on unless I want to chance it by barely having the cables in, and this is after I shaved off a large part of the casing.

I would LIKE future versions to have the sd be where the hdmi is, but I know re-doing the traces is a huge pain. I'd prefer a note though somewhere "When getting microhdmi, remember low horizontal clearance" or something.
Forar

Postby NuisanceParameter » Wed May 14, 2014 3:49 pm

NuisanceParameter

Postby gceline » Wed May 14, 2014 4:31 pm

So not use an adapter like this - the weight and size will put forces on the HDMI connector which will break it off the board!
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby stefan.morley » Fri May 16, 2014 8:47 am

Know this is a bit late but two bobs worth anyway.

Good having the UART pin headers as a fallback position but a little thing I always do on my boards is have the ground in the middle of the TX and RX and put a couple of low value resistors in series on the TX lines (just in case although generally driving sources each end probably not so great as to destroy chips anyway).

Means if one gets the direction wrong just have to spin the connector 180 degrees.

Cheers
Stefan
stefan.morley

Postby AlbertoGP » Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 am

AlbertoGP

Postby emkey1 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I'd really like to see a move away from the credit card sized form factor. Small is good, but the next generation board doesn't need to be THAT small. A somewhat larger board would enable better heat dissipation and standard sized ports.

A low power option with a different ARM that doesn't include the FPGA. Right now the low power promise of the Adapteva architecture is not being demonstrated. Don't get me wrong, I like the current version and there are probably going to be some very cool things done with it but not everyone needs the FPGA. I realize this would mean implementing the glue logic currently in the FPGA in real silicon so that is probably a ways off. It sure would be useful in demonstrating the true watt/FLOP advantage of the epiphany though.
emkey1

Postby MarkjBOINC » Thu May 22, 2014 11:19 am

MarkjBOINC

Postby Bikeman » Thu May 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Maybe slightly off-topic because it's not related to the PCB board design directly:

It would be good to have a case design that integrates the cooling in a way that is guaranteed to work. E.g. Adapteva could partner with a third party company like Pimoroni who made the iconic Pibow case http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibow ... ry-pi-case so people could order a case that has mountings for a fan and ventilation vents that are sufficient.
Cheers
HB
Bikeman

Postby 9600 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:47 am

<shameless plug>I've made a available that includes a fan and low profile heatsinks</shameless plug>.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A