[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Using/downloading Android as OS

Using/downloading Android as OS

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Using/downloading Android as OS

Postby awong209 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Alright I am not a technical person [finance geek here] but I was wondering if I can download Android's OS over Ubuntu. It would be cool to see how that functions because the whole goal for Parallella is to eventually be in every phone and tablet right? :)
awong209

Re: Using/downloading Android as OS

Postby Gedece » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't think that's the goal. I think the goal is to release it in the wild and let us tinker with it and come up with different uses.
Gedece

Postby 9600 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Android support is not on the cards at present but there should be nothing stopping the community developing this, and Parallella would open up exciting possibilities for media centers that use computer vision for gesture control!
Andrew Back

Postby ysapir » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

ysapir

Postby awong209 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Yeah I found some areas on how Ubuntu can support a virtualization for Android. I'll play with that after I get the board and then maybe if I have time I can figure it out with other devs to implement the open source OS as a permanent boot.

@Gedece: if this conceived notion that the chipset only utilizes 2W would be a great application towards small devices no? I hate leaving my phone plugged in to be charged but I want the fastest processor out there.
awong209

Postby fmotta » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Well, theoretically Android could be run on one of the ARM processors and they could have some interesting application that runs on the parallella cores.

In principal the port to the board would be its chief challenges and since Android really is an OS extension upon a hacked Linux it could "boot". But, the DVM and most of the debugging and application framework presume a lot of peripherals are already there and that they are specific subsets of devices.

So, I think that the board and its I/O really need to be known and the IP/device interface logic needs to be implemented for the minimal subset to get Android running nicely before a real interesting apps can be built using parallella.

Summary, great Idea! I think there are a few carts and maybe even a blacksmith or two needed before we enter that race. I could be wrong.
fmotta

Postby Folknology » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Who needs Andriod when you have this http://youtu.be/cpWHJDLsqTU

regards
Al
Folknology

Postby fmotta » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:46 pm

fmotta

Postby HSBConsulting » Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi,

there is an other Zynq-7020-based board that is running Android 4.1 (http://www.enclustra.com/en/products/sy ... /mars-zx3/)
I would be very interested in running Android on the parallela-board, because we would like to develop an open-CL support for Android. There is another project (Aurus Diamond Dual 10.1 Tablet) on Indiegogo, that I could imagine to have an epiphany co-processor as an option for the next version.

-HSBC
HSBConsulting

Postby Ray_GTI-R » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Please, pretty please ...
I know you have been inspired by the RPi but please:- don't make the same huge mistake that they did by releasing ARM hardware without Android O/S support.

(And if possible, please include in your Android version an option to use any cheaply-available WiFi stick as current Android releases tend to be made for one and only one WiFi chip that severely limits the choice for developer boards. Not a showstopper 'tho.)

Put another way how cool would it be to announce the worlds' first Android supercomputer? ;)

PS - love that spell checker!
Ray_GTI-R

Next

Return to General Discussion